Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Before the Daily Grind Begins

Okay, let’s take a moment to talk to all of the college kids out there. That’s right, if you’re already out of college and currently fighting in the workforce trenches, take a coffee break. I know, it’s asking a lot to suggest a caffeine hit, but I’m sure you can manage.

Okay, do I just have college kids here now? Good. Let’s talk about your careers.

You should be having the time of you life. You’re away from home with your days filled with classes and nights consumed by frat parties and socials – but you also realize that when this ends in a few years you will have the moment. That’s right, the dreaded realization that you need to find a job.

What you also need to realize is that securing that ideal position when the party ends is entirely dependent on what you do now. A college degree is great, but it will only carry you so far.

For example, go find a former film student. Not a current one with all the dreams and aspirations that go along with the moniker, “film student,” but one who has already graduated and is currently in the workforce. Where do you find one of those, you ask? Try the local video store and you’ll more than likely find one because that’s all the degree will get you.

The degree will educate you on many aspects of the field, but it will do nothing to get you a job. It’s what you do in addition to the degree that counts most. Internships, student work, activities with the online groups – that’s the key.

Journalism students probably know this best. In the midst of taking classes on theory and ethics, they’re also working several hours a day at the school newspaper. They learn to work deadlines, chase down stories, and deal with editors; the nuts and bolts of working in the field.

The same goes for film students. Attending classes and taking tests isn’t enough. It’s working on student films, volunteering at film festivals all over the country and doing everything you can to expand your network of contacts in the industry. A film degree isn’t even a gateway to a job in the industry, all the industry cares about is what you’ve done, what you’ve accomplished – a degree isn’t even necessary. The most it will do is make your parents happy.

You will, of course, have to keep up with your school work, most other industries and fields would like to see exemplary classroom work as well as other activities. Just remember that college is supposed to be an all inclusive experience, encompassing many facets of your education. And, it’s still supposed to be fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, what you're saying is, I'm allowed to party as long as it's...educational at the same time?

Anonymous said...

OMG! I graduated a year ago with a film degree--after four years of slaving away behind the camera, I worked at a clothes store. And then became a graphic designer. Nothing having to do with film. I realized along the way that I didn't wish to go to LA and pursue it nearly as much as the others did, so I gave up on student shoots and film festivals.

I agree completely with your post, though. If you know what you want to do with your life, go for it. Don't just sit around waiting for it to come to you once you have your degree.

Anonymous said...

You're completely right. I wouldn't have gotten my job as a writer if I didn't have experience outside of my english degree. Because I worked for the newspaper and had an internship with a journal I had enough experience that my company wanted. I'm thankful for that now.