Thursday, April 10, 2008

“I haven’t had my coffee yet” and Other Excuses for Grogginess

Now let me set this up for you; I’m not a small-talker. I don’t like to make small talk to random strangers that I’ll presumably never see again. And even worse than small talk, I dislike silly little clichéd phrases, like “Well, the early bird gets the worm”. That said, can’t we all put cream and sugar into our coffee in silence? Apparently not, because those words actually came out of my mouth one day.

Over the condiments table, I had an early morning chit chat with this guy about how early it was. And that’s when I said it, the dreaded “Yeah, I haven’t had my coffee yet.” Dun Dun Dun…

So the point is, that coffee really does start to muddle your brain when you haven’t had it yet. And if you are one of those people that need their coffee, I might have a solution. In the morning, instead of sleeping in until the last possible second and trying to condense all of your morning activities, try getting up a half hour earlier. Yes, I said earlier.

Here’s why. Sometimes our bodies need to get a running start, especially in those first morning hours. This means that all of that groggy, slow time before we’ve had our coffee needs to happen at home, and you need the time to do that. By gaining this extra time, you can make a little something to eat and relax. You’ll be calm and ready for the day. It also means that you won’t be in a rush on your way to work.

When you finally do get in to the office you wouldn’t have felt pressured to have gotten there by nine, and you’ll be in a far better mood. Then, because you ate, you’ll jump right into the work for the day and you’ll be surprised at how much and how fast you get things done. Your productivity will soar. By the time you look up, it could be lunch time!

No comments: